Monday, September 26, 2005

Glenn's mail offers Instapundit readers a revealing look inside our supposedly representative gov't:
They can't seem to understand why I'm bothering them or why I expect more of a response than a form letter assuring me that they share my concerns about the budget.
Ugh, that's not pretty. I guess if you're not a special interest group, you're just an annoyance. Trite but apt sausage analogies immediately spring to mind.

But this piqued my interest, and also my sense of scientific inquiry:
Reader Mary Wlodarski sends a response she got: "I have been a regular reader of your blog for years and really love it! I sent both my senators, Durbin and Obama a letter asking them to review the budget in light of the need of our southern states, foregoing our projects to help out the gulf states. I only got response from Obama. He must have thought I was concerned about the pets in the budget, not the pork!"
What followed appeared to be a form letter for pets lost in Hurrcane Katrina. As a fellow denizen of the People's Republic of Illinois, like Mary I too am blessed with Mr. Obama as my Senator (to be fair, Obama seems like a pretty decent guy, one of the few center-left people out there; to give you some idea of how bad statewide politics is, our other choice was Alan Keyes, who kicked off his campaign in glorious fashion, scant months before the election, by 1) moving to Illinois and 2) insisting that it was "inconceivable" our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ would have voted for his opponent).

Anyway, I thought it was odd there could be a form letter for missing Katrina pets. So, in the spirit of empiricism, I propose two tests for the hypotheses that Obama's office has a form letter for missing Katrina pets, and that his office cannot tell the difference between a budget initiative and a pet issue: I'll send a short email expressing my deep concern for missing cats (as someone hopelessly devoted to his own cats, I feel sincere in this, even though I'm obviously having a little fun with the idea), and see if I get the exact same letter as Mary. I'll also send one regarding the porcine portions of the proposed budget, and see if, like Mary, I receive the same form letter as for the forsaken feline familiars.

Here are the two emails:

I am deeply concerned with the "pigs at the trough" attitude of politicians toward our budget. In the wake of Katrina, we need to ensure that our spending priorities are in the proper order and that our government acts in a responsible, caring manner. This issue is very important to many people and should not be taken lightly.

I am deeply concerned with the issue of missing cats. In the wake of Katrina, we need to ensure that our rescue priorities are in the proper order and that our government acts in a responsible, caring manner. This issue is very important to many people and should not be taken lightly.

I know, the two letters are very similar. What can I say, you have to fight fire with fire, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home