Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Here are some constitutional thoughts that you might find interesting:

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other. I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution. For when you assemble a number of men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble with those men, all their prejudices, their passions, their errors of opinion, their local interests, and their selfish views. From such an assembly can a perfect production be expected? It therefore astonishes me, Sir, to find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does; and I think it will astonish our enemies, who are waiting with confidence to hear that our councils are confounded like those of the Builders of Babel; and that our States are on the point of separation, only to meet hereafter for the purpose of cutting one another's throats.

Whence these apropos observations? Ben Franklin, regarding our own Constitution. (h/t Instapundit)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, If you are interested, go see my rss to blog related site. It deals with search engine marketing and bloging. Thanks

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google Talk is up, running, more open and as clear as Skype...
As you can see, the Windows client is pretty basic, but functional. It is necessary to have a gmail account to sign up for the service - " by invitation it sounds like.
Please visit $9.99 and free submit to search engines blog that pretty much covers $9.99 and free submit to search engines related stuff.

I would appreciate if you stopped by to check it out, when you get the time :-) Submit your website to 66 major search engines for $9.99 ONLY.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Radiohead Start Blog
US band Radiohead has started their own blog, Dead Air Space , to document the creation of their new album.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a internet home business site/blog. It pretty much covers internet home business related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:52 AM  
Blogger TallDave said...

Gah! I've been inundated with Spam!

Shoo, spammers, shoo! [waves flyswatter]

10:48 AM  
Blogger SMK said...

It happened to my blog at one point then it just stopped. I am not really sure where they get the blog names from, but I guess email filters have gotten good enough that they are looking for new ways to spam us. It took me a while to remove all of their junk.

Anyway, I like the Ben Franklin comments. I don't think the Iraqi constitution "approaches "so near to perfection," but it is definitely a document they can work with. Tomorrow is the showdown. I'll be at ITM checking out Omar's updates.

If you are interested, check out my blog at

http://wideanglelens.blogspot.com

I have been writing for just over a year, and cover Iraq, the Middle East, and the US Military (being an Iraq Veteran myself). I have another occasional contributor who is also an Iraq Vet.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Fitch said...

I never get spam. :(
Anyway, good point about how it wasn't so easy here either, and that it's how ideas come together that make them work. I'm a big fan of your blog. Keep up the good work.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home